The St. Regis is named a New York landmark by the
New York Community Trust, and a Bronze Award Plaque
mounted on the Fifth Avenue side of the building, which
proclaims its historical importance.
It reads "When completed in 1904, this was the highest hotel
building in New York. Designed by Trowbridge & Livingston
and constructed by Marc Eidlitz & Son. It was conceived and
owned by Colonel John Jacob Astor, whose son Vincent Astor
enlarged the original structure in 1925".